Intimacy & Disabilities – Multimedia Course on Sex & DisabilitiesNov 05, 2018
Welcome to Loveology University’s sneak preview video course on Intimacy & Disabilities. This in-depth course will teach all about the challenges and triumphs of intimacy for people with disabilities.
Definition of Disability
“Disabilities is an umbrella term, covering impairments, activity limitations, and participation restrictions. An impairment is a problem in body function or structure; an activity limitation is a difficulty encountered by an individual in executing a task or action; while a participation restriction is a problem experienced by an individual in involvement in life situations.”~ World Health Organization
What a Disability is Not:
- The person
- A reason to mistreat someone
- A way to take advantage of the system
- A means for attention
- A curse or punishment
- An easy way out
- A moral consequence
Types of Disabilities
- Opportunity for sexual expression
- Sexuality education
- Access to contraception
- Prevention of and treatment for sexual abuse
Myths About Sex and Disability
- We are asexual
- If it isn’t addressed we won’t get aroused
- If we don’t have one ability other abilities will be exceptional
- Our genitals are retarded
- Only certain kinds of people hook up with us
- The disability is more important than sexuality
- What a hassle
- People naturally know how to have sex, and if we don’t, we shouldn’t be having it
- It is better not to risk reproduction
- Sexuality is not part of healthcare
- We are only vanilla heterosexuals
- It’s better not to risk reproduction
- People with disabilities aren’t at risk for sexual abuse
- People with disabilities don’t have anything to teach people without disabilities
Challenges for People with Disabilities
- One of the biggest challenges to differently abled sexuality is inaccessible examples to follow.
- Proper sex-positive sex education for those with disabilities and their caregivers.
- 9 out of 10 people with disabilities have been sexually abused.
- Finding sexual or romantic partners.
- Communicating about romance and sex.
- Dealing with pain.
- Sexual positions and adaptive equipment.
- Sexual limitations including fatigue, immobility, cognitive issues, lack of privacy, altered or loss of sensation, erectile disfunction, loss of ejaculation ability, fertility, lessened vaginal lubrication, medications and changes in libido.
Today’s sneak peek video is all about Intimacy & Disabilities, a comprehensive digital course that will teach you everything you need to know about anal pleasure, available via our Certified Love Coach program!
This exclusive course on Intimacy & Disabilities includes a Narrated Multimedia Video Course, including extra Video Training:
(Sex) Abled: Disabilities Uncensored documentary (14 minutes, 32 seconds)
(SEX)ABLED celebrates people with disabilities as sexual beings, increasing visibility for an often ignored population by addressing stereotypes that hinder sexual growth. Viewers are introduced to a community of sexually active disabled people who expose the truth by pulling back the curtain on their sexual lives. Asta Philpot documentary (17 minutes, 49 seconds)
Asta was born with Arthrogryposis, which limits his mobility, but he can dance in his wheelchair, sing beautifully and is an ardent campaigner on behalf of disabled people through his foundation. In this video, Asta shares his views with Dr. Ava Cadell on love, relationships, intimacy and sexuality that raises awareness about intimacy and disabilities.
Carlana Stone documentary (14 minutes, 28 seconds)
Author of the acclaimed book, “Never Give In, Never Give Up,” Carlana speaks about her sexuality as a disabled person, and what she’s learned about pleasure and the misconceptions about the disabled.
Plus!, you will learn:
- Definition of Disabilities
- Old World Views
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Person First Language
- Terms and Types
- Sexual Rights
- Society’s Myths About Disability and Sexuality
- Examples of Sexual Expression with Real Couples
- Birth Control Methods
- Sexual Abuse
- Meet Asta Philpot
- Body image and sexual confidence
- Finding partners
- Communicating Romance and Sex
- Adaptive Equipment
- Sexual Response
- Sexual Limitations
- Disabilities and Illnesses
- Carlana’s Story
- Sexual Positions
- Sexual Expression
- Thank You
This course is just a small component of our comprehensive Certified Love Coach program.
Take a look at our Certified Love Coach program NOW to see all of the courses available when you sign up to become a Certified Love Coach!